What Do Modern Popes
Have To Say About The Rosary?
Pope Pius IX - Reign 1846-1878
• "Among all the devotions approved by the Church none has been favored by so many miracles as the devotion of the Most Holy Rosary."
• "We do not wish here to pass over in silence the fact that the Blessed Virgin herself, even in our times has solicitously recommended this manner of prayer, when she appeared and taught it to the innocent girl in the Grotto of Lourdes."
Pope Leo XIII - Reign 1878-1903
• "A powerful means of renewing our courage will undoubtedly be found in the Holy Rosary."
Pope Benedict XV - Reign 1914-1922
• "This prayer is perfect because of the praise it offers, because of the lessons it imparts, because of the graces it obtains and because of the triumphs it achieves."
Pope Pius XI - Reign 1922-1939
• "If you desire peace in your hearts, your homes and your country, assemble every evening to recite the Rosary."
• "Among the various supplications with which we successfully appeal to the Virgin Mother of God, the Holy Rosary without doubt occupies a special and distinct place."
• "Tell your faithful people that the Pope is not satisfied with simply blessing the Rosary, but that he prays his Rosary everyday and invites all his children to do the same"
Pope Pius XII - Reign 1939-1958
• "There is no surer means of calling down God's blessings upon the family ... than the daily recitation of the Rosary."
• "We do not hesitate to affirm again publicly that we put great confidence in the Holy Rosary for the healing of evils which afflict our times."
Pope John Paul II - Reign 1978-2005
• "Yet the Rosary clearly belongs to the kind of veneration of the Mother of God described by the Council: a devotion directed to the Christological center of the Christian faith, in such a way that when the Mother is honored, the Son ... is duly known, loved and glorified,"
• "If properly revitalized, the Rosary is an aid and certainly not a hindrance to ecumenism!"
• "The Rosary ... represents a most effective means of fostering among the faithful that commitment to the contemplation of the Christian mystery"
Pope Benedict XVI - Reign 2005-present
• "Today, together we confirm that the Holy Rosary is not a pious practice banished to the past, Instead, the Rosary is experiencing a new Springtime."
• "In the current world ... this prayer helps to put Christ at the center, as the Virgin did, who meditated within all that was said about her Son, and also what he did and said."
• "The Rosary, when it is prayed in an authentic way... brings, in fact, peace and reconciliation."