Roman Catholic Rosary Instructions
This how to pray the Rosary guide is understood better if you are clear on what is the meaning of the rosary beads and how do you use them. Catholic Rosary beads are made up of a cross or crucifix, a medal, large beads and small beads.
To pray the Catholic Rosary using rosary beads, you start by holding the cross as you say the first prayer. Then you move your fingers to the large bead above the cross and say another prayer. Next you move on to the three small beads then the medal and continue around the loop until you have said a prayer on each bead contained on the string of rosary beads. More details in the Rosary diagram below
Basic Rosary Guide
How To Use Rosary Beads
How To Say The Rosary Diagram
1. At the crucifix, begin with the Sign of the Cross and say the Apostles Creed.
2. On the first large bead say the Our Father prayer
3. Followed by three Hail Mary prayers. It is customary to say "I offer these three Hail Marys for the increase in the virtues
of faith,hope and charity."
Faith - pray to increase your faith in God
Hope - pray for a deeper desire and hope for heaven
Charity - pray to have a deeper love for your neighbors for the sake of your love for God
4. Then say one Glory Be prayer
Now you are at the medal that joins the beads. Here announce any prayer intentions you have.
Then announce the first Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful or Glorious Mystery depending upon what mysteries you are meditating on this particular day.
At this point you may read a meditation or look at a picture of the mystery that will aid in your meditation.
5. Then begin the decade with one Our Father all the while keeping hold of the medal.
6. On the ten small beads that follow pray TEN Hail Marys.
7. Followed by one Glory Be Prayer.
8. Then the Fatima Prayer.
9. When you come to the large bead, announce the second, look at a meditation aid then pray one Our Father.
10. On the ten small beads pray another set of ten Hail Marys followed by one Glory Be and
the Fatima Prayer called a decade, as before.
11. Continue this pattern of announcing the mystery and praying a decade. Do this for the third, fourth and fifth mystery consecutively followed by one Our Father, ten Hail Marys, one Glory Be and the Fatima Prayer.
12. After the fifth and final decade has been prayed, after the Fatima Prayer, pray the Hail Holy Queen prayer.
13. It is customary to finish the Rosary prayers with the "Let us Pray" prayer from the Breviary followed+ by the Saint Michael Prayer.
14. Now just as you began, end with the Sign of the Cross.
The Sign Of The Cross
In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Apostles Creed Catholic Rosary Prayers
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth. And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. Who was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty. From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the Communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Amen.
Our Father Prayer- The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
Hail Mary Prayer (The Angelic Salutation)
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Glory Be Prayer (The Doxology)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of hell,
lead all souls to heaven especially those in most need of thy mercy.
Hail Holy Queen Prayer
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope,
to thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this vale of tears; turn, then most gracious Advocate,
thine eyes of mercy towards us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!
Pray for us, O holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Saint Michael Prayer
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and the snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou O Prince of the Heavenly Host
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
From the Breviary
Let us pray, O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life death and Resurrection,
has purchased for us the reward of eternal salvation. Grant we beseech Thee
that while meditating upon these mysteries of the most holy rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise through the same Christ our Lord.